[geeks] Fwd: Why I HATE buying New computers

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Feb 12 11:39:44 CST 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:31:51PM -0500, Michael Schiller wrote:
> >Hi All.
> >Sometimes I really HATE buying a NEW computer! Here I finally decide
> >to spend some money, and buy a new iMac, I go for the top model, the
> >800mhz 17" iMac, spend $1999 for it, and what, about a month later
> >they come out with a newer model, 1ghz iMac for $200 less than I
> >spent! Of course my machine hasn't gotten any 'worse' than it was when
> >I bought it, and it still does everything I want it to and all, but
> >really, 200 less for a faster computer?? Then if I want the newer
> >versions of their 'iapps' I have to spend an additional $50 while the
> >cheaper machine comes with them too! Why does this just not seem > right?

Apple updates their machines on a six-month cycle.

I spent almost $2K on my dual-867 G4 on Christmas Eve, knowing that
they'd update the machines soon afterwards.

They did - but got *rid* of the dual model I'd bought, and replaced it
with a single 1Ghz for $1500.  They made the dual 1Ghz $1999, but thats
still $200 more than I spent.

The only "new iApp" I cant download for free is iDVD 3, and since I
dont have a DVD burner, I dont *need* it.

This is the way computers work - there will be faster machines.  You can
either around forever for the perfect deal, or spend money on what you
need that does the job, knowing that in six months it will be cheaper.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net