[geeks] Common Unix knowledge

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Fri Feb 7 15:04:09 CST 2003

Hi All.

I've recently subscribed to a mailing list about OSX. One of the
list-members who has just written a book about Unix on OSX for Mac
users asked a question, and I was shocked that an author of a book
about Unix would ask such a question:

> : In /usr/share/man there are 9 cat directories, which contain man
> pages. What
> : exactly are these, and why are these man pages not in the man
> folders?

Am I just too familiar with Unix, thinking that this is common
knowledge?

-Mike