[geeks] End of geeks list.

Matthew Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Sun Feb 2 21:55:03 CST 2003

I pop in from time to time, though I wouldn't consider myself a major
member of the list community. That being said, I still would like to
voice my opinion in *support* of Bill temporarily suspending the list.

I've seen it happen before: something minor gets elevated to a
list-wide point of contention. Tempers flare. Amy steps in to deliver
the smackdown. People formerly just watching get sucked into the debate
(often to comment on the issues of Amy/Bill/"the list" rather than the
original topic). Some people get kicked, more unsubscribe, and a bad
taste is left in everyone's mouth. I've been party to this.

By keeping the list up, Bill is providing the means for it's own damage
(destruction may be a little too extreme). Occasionally, a "time out"
is good for all parties involved rather than letting them duke it out
over something until only one is left standing.

Geeks is nice, but not essential, and I don't think that anyone would
be harmed by being without it for a week, and in that time I'm sure
that everything could settle down. Perhaps not, but I personally would
prefer a hiatus to a continued battle.

Shut it down for a short while, and later announce that it's back open
for business, and spare yourself the headache of dealing with
inter-personal warfare.