[geeks] Sonnet Tango card works in an Ultra-30!

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Sun Feb 2 19:54:16 CST 2003

Hi All.

A while back I mentioned that I was going to put my Sonnet Tango card
(a USB / Firewire PCI card for Macs) in my Ultra-30, and see if it
would work. I assumed that because it had Openfirmware support that it
would work because Openboot is basically the same thing. At that time I
was told by a few list members that it probably wouldn't work, as
Apple's implementation & Suns varied quite a bit.

Well, I went ahead and put it in, and was able to test it with a USB
cdrw drive right away, and while I couldn't get cdrecord to work with
it, I was able to read discs in it. At the time I had no way of testing
the firewire, but I've since gotten an iBot firewire webcam, originally
for my iMac, but now it's happily running on the Ultra-30 (The iBot is
one of the Sun approved web-cams) so apparently the Tango card works
just fine in a PCI based Sun! I wonder if Sonnet would be interested in
knowing this?

On the topic of working with Suns, is it expensive for a manufacturer
to get their hardware approved by Sun (so the package can have the
Solaris Ready logo on it)? With all the U-30's and U-60's getting out
into the hands of hobbyists this could be a new market for Sonnet!

-Mike