[geeks] RE: Reevaluating Macintosh (was Dual Xeon vs Dual G4)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 09:26:04 CST 2003

--- Gavin Hubbard <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi Lads
>
> Without wanting to single anyone out, I think that some of the
> statements made about Apple are a little optimistic.

OK

> Here is the actual data on Apple Global sales over the last three
> years.

>          Apple  Total  Market-share
>
> 1999 Q3    772  27887      2.77%
>      Q4   1377  33178      4.15%
> 2000 Q1   1043  39356      3.44%
>      Q2   1016  30100      3.38%
>      Q3   1122  33522      3.35%
>      Q4    659  36681      1.80%
> 2001 Q1    751  35000      2.15%
>      Q2    827  29783      2.18%
>      Q3    850  29122      2.92%
>      Q4    746  34232      2.18%
> 2002 Q1    813  31359      2.59%
>      Q2    808  29895      2.70%
>      Q3    734  32600      2.25%
>      Q4    743  38400      1.93%

(the above in Ks of units shipped)

To paraphrase, there are lies, damn lies, and shipment numbers!

I think (no research done, flame at will!) that you will find the
shipments from other companies might include workgroup servers, and
maybe even rack servers... If the above numbers are for home sales of
computers, than I stand corrected.

Opinions may differ, but comparing Apple against the total PC industry
is just unfair, they really are personal computer (with a small "p")
company, not a Personal Computer (or PC) company...

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com