[geeks] Dual Xeon vs Dual G4

Michael Schiller schiller at agrijag.com
Sun Feb 2 02:03:07 CST 2003

On Saturday, February 1, 2003, at 08:56 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I swore I'd never buy a Mac - but then OSX happened, and EVERYTHING
> CHANGED.

I couldn't agree more! Back when I was primarily an Amiga user I swore
I wouldn't have anything to do with a Mac. then Commodore (aka suits)
killed the Amiga, so I went to a PC running Unix and Windows (dual
boot), and after a while I ended up getting a Mac LCII to play with. It
has OS6 on it, but I put OS7 on it (I just found the original OS7 box,
with docs, and floppies yesterday at my storage unit) After using
AmigaDOS, Macos sucked. I played with it a bit, then forgot about it.
After hearing all the folks here talking about how great Macs are I
bought a used one on ebay (a 5500/225) only to find out that it can't
run OSX, so after playing with it a while I gave it to my ex for my
stepson, and went and bought one of the 17" iMacs.

I love this machine! I used to use my Ultra-1 as my main workstation,
and kept a Win98 machine around for the stuff that can't be easily done
on a Sun. (and yes, I know that almost anything done on a PC can be
done on a Sun, but I did say easily) Now my iMac is my primary
workstation, AND my machine to grab audio/video, and other stuff I used
to do on the PC.

Right now I'm considering removing my U1 from active service (The only
reason I even set it up in the first place is because it had a
creator3d card in it, and my U30 only has a PGX8 in it) as the iMac has
really replaced it's one function (I still have other Suns that are my
primary servers), and I really wish I could get rid of my win98 pc, but
at the moment it's running an app that I havn't found a replacement
for, called AuctionTamer (www.auctiontamer.com). I keep hoping that the
authors will come out with a version for OSX so I can get rid of the
PC, and have no x86 machines in my home!

Sorry for the long post :)

-Mike