[geeks] Callahans space shuttle

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Feb 1 11:26:13 CST 2003

This was a post in Callahans, part of Baens bar. I thought it might be
appropriate here.

The filk group TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES
(T J Burnside, Linda Melnick, & Willis)
sang this, by Jean Stevenson:

Seven names to represent the whole human race;
Seven who died reaching for space!
(as they reached for space)
Others will fly, in the tempting void that
waits, beyond the sky!
We'll control the lightning once again!
(we'll control the lightning)

Stars have ever beckoned men to reach for higher things.
(higher things)
Stars for which we tried with homemade wings!
(on our wings we soar)
Time is our friend,
As we try, and fail, and try, and never bend!
We'll control the lightning and the wind!

Once we sailed, on the seas,
Slave to tide and breeze;
Guided by the stars we seek to know!
And to further our schemes,
See the Mother World of Dreams,
Smiling at us as we turn to go ....

Cradle world that brought us forth beneath the morning sun,
Cradle world of life that's just begun!
(look how we begin)
Watch as we grow,
In the face of Time & Tide, and Hammer Blows:
We'll control the lightning once again!
(we'll control the lightning once a...)
We'll control the lightning once again!
(we'll control the lightning once a...)
We will, control, the lightning, A-a-gain!!!
(the words in parenthesis are descants)

Chris Byrne