[geeks] Crap! Not again...

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sat Feb 1 10:42:54 CST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Pure science?  Never turn a profit?  Bullshit.  NASA is one of the
> most thickly bureaucratic organizations on the planet, and the
> contractors that build their hardware (because we can't do anything
> ourselves, right??) make an IMMENSE amount of money doing it.  Rest
> assured that your spacecraft will be built by the lowest bidder.

Believe me, I agree as well. I've seen the GSA schedule; I realize that a
man making $50,000 a year for a subcontractor has his employer billing
$175+ per hour. It's highway robbery, and it favors 8As the most.

>    If NASA ever pulls its head out of its ass, the best profit it can
> turn would be getting us the fuck OFF THIS ROCK before we finish
> destroying it.  But you can bet that won't happen now, at least not in
> our (or our childrens') lifetimes.

Here here.

>    And let's not forget that more than half of all shuttle launches are
> (or at least were, this is an old statistic) classified or contain
> classified payloads.

I wasn't aware of this; I do remember the flight over Iraq during that
war...

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"