[geeks] Cool Software

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Mon Sep 30 09:09:58 CDT 2002

> SCSI CD? What laptop is this? I only know a few vendors that offered
> SCSI on a laptop...
>
> Most of the Linux freeware is available from the major distributions
> (redhat, debian, etc.) in distro-appropriate package formats...
>
> Lionel
>
> --- "Michael A. Turner" <mturner at whro.org> wrote:
> > 	I have this Pentium 120 laptop here I rescued from
> being destroyed.
> > I added a larger HD and maxed the memory (80 MBs Woo Hoo!) and I
> > loaded Linux on it. Got the network working and the scsi CD-rom.

	PCMCIA scsi card is what it uses. Interesting thing is that most
PCMCIA cd-roms use a scsi adapter to get them working. The cable coming out
of the card has what looks to be a standard 50 pin cable end that hooks into
the external player, which is also a walkman with built in speakers. Have
not tried it on other devices yet, but I am going to get around to it soon I
think as an external scsi hard drive for home use would rock. Under windows
95/98 this unit can also work as the sound card for the laptop.
Unfortunately Linux PCMCIA does not support this, the problem being Linux
does not support DMA on the card bus, and the lack of need as their may be
one other person in the world trying this setup. Higher versions of windows
do not support it and no drivers ever were made for them.
	The unit I have is a Panasonic 745. The PCMCIA card is an unbranded
Qlogic scsi PCMCIA card.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org