Remote testing of your local network (was RE: [geeks] Where is everyone.)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Sep 26 14:42:42 CDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 12:52:58PM -0400, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:

> Does anyone else know of similar resources to check on whether your own
> network (hosts, DNS, routing, whatever) is is behaving itself?

Yes, a dial-up account* and shell accounts on machine scattered around the
net so they can't *all* be down at once.

> Yes, I also will dial into my own private ISP account to test things,
> but often that ends up not being as "remote" as I'd like.

That's why I like to exchange shell accounts with people I trust.  And no,
that's not meant to be an unsubtle hint, I have enough already :-)

* - two actually, with ISPs who both peer well and use different telcos.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   "There seems to be something wrong with our ships today"
     -- Rear-admiral Sir David Beatty, on seeing the Queen Mary
        and the Indefatigable destroyed at the Battle of Jutland