[geeks] What to do with a stack of IPX and LX boxes (was RE: [geeks] Where is everyone.)

Shawn Wallbridge swallbridge at franticfilms.com
Thu Sep 26 13:37:11 CDT 2002

David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:

>A much more appropriate question for "geeks":
>
>What is the best use for a stack of IPX and LX boxes?
>
>Are they worth the time to mix and match parts to get a number of them
>with max RAM and working disks and load an OS on them?
>
>Or should I just let our Operations folks sell them as scrap?
>
>Dave

Cluster!!!!

Please don't let them get scrapped. I am sure you could get rid of quite
a few on here pretty easy. I wouldn't mind a couple LX's myself.

I had a SS2 (about the same speed as an IPX) serving a dozen domains and
it was great. People didn't notice when I moved to a Dual PPRo 200 with
4x the memory. They are perfectly capable machines, especially since
they are so small.

I am sure people from any local Unix group would love them as well.

shawn