[geeks] What to do with a stack of IPX and LX boxes (was RE: [geeks] Where is everyone.)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Sep 26 12:16:56 CDT 2002

On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 01:11 PM, David L Kindred (Dave)
wrote:
> What is the best use for a stack of IPX and LX boxes?
>
> Are they worth the time to mix and match parts to get a number of them
> with max RAM and working disks and load an OS on them?
>
> Or should I just let our Operations folks sell them as scrap?

   They're good old machines that are very willing to do lots of
work...please don't scrap them.

   Personally, if I had some time, I'd set them all up netbooted from a
beefy server and do neat things with PVM or MPI.  Or even run an Amoeba
cluster.  Fun, educational, and the knowledge and experience gained
could be very useful.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                 "Dammit, now I wants me some
St. Petersburg, FL             livers 'n gizzards."    -Bill Bradford