[geeks] Any imagemajick wizards?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Sep 18 15:53:27 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:50:56PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > I need to convert them to .tga files.  So, I use convert like so:
> > convert 1.gif 1.tga.
> >
> > Reading the convert man page, I see a -colorspace flag, so I tried
> > -colorspace RGB, but I'm still getting type 1 files.  Can anyone
> > recommend the proper way to force convert to do what I want?
>
> It's been a while, but I think what you want to do is:
>
>   convert 1.gif -type TrueColor 1.tga

Well, that triples the size, so I'd assume it works.  The tga loader
that requires type 2 or 10 that I was using is windows C++ only though,
and since I have no C compiler on the work notebook that I'm currently
at, I can't fully test it.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm using it to make the checkers program
from hell.  Marble board.  Dynamic lighting.  Sparkles.  Lens flares.
Bump mapped[0] kanji nonsense carved into the game board.  And you can't
even really play checkers with it.  Since the assignment called for a
completely useless checkers program, I figured it might as well be a
spectacularly useless one.

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[0] I haven't yet decided on true bumpmapping versus quake3 style bump
mapping.  True bumpmapping is better, but it would be awefull slow on
video cards without a dedicated T&L engine, like the TNT in my home
computer.  I really should run out one of these days and get at least a
Geforce2, if not a Geforce 3 (or better yet a SI+tram Octane, but that
isn't something I can afford to run out and buy).  A radeon might not be
a bad choice, but I'm not sure how good the linux drivers are, and a
geforce would be a plug and play upgrade since it uses the same linux
drivers as the TNT2 I currently have.