Radio Shack - Was:[geeks] Octane light bar

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Sep 10 22:29:37 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 12:18 AM, Rick Hamell wrote:

> 	Glad to see I'm not the only person in the world who hates this. I
> don't go to Blockbuster any more because they say "Hi" to you when you
> walk in. I don't go to Best Buy because I'm bugged every five minutes
> by
> somebody wanting to "help" me. Bahh... my attitude towards corporate
> entities is just getting worse.... I think the part that bugs me is
> they
> do it becuase they have too... and they always sound so insincere... if
> they actually cared... then I wouldn't be so anal about it.

I don't go into Best Buy much anymore these days.  Not for the same
reasons mentioned here, though.  I actually prefer that they come up
and ask if I need help, because before they did that you would have
five employees hiding in the back of the store, avoiding customers, and
literally walking away or looking busy if they saw one coming.

Why don't I like shopping there anymore?

1. The guy working in the stereo section must always blast ghetto
music.  One time I popped in a RHCP disc to try out some speakers and
he came in all annoyed telling me to "turn that crap off" and "I was
listening to the other station".  Well.

2. Their "International" section has all but disappeared.  I am into
scandinavian folk & classical music, and Best Buy used to have a nice
selection of that.  No longer.

3. I used to buy lots of DVD's there but I get them for a steal at
Blockbuster.  No I don't like shopping at Blockbuster but the
pre-viewed DVD's can be had for a nice price.

4. They often don't have what I want.

5. Line for cashier is usually long, and the employees progress in slow
motion.

6. Line for returns is even longer, and progresses even more slowly.

7. The only way to get a good price is to get a rebate.  I frelling
hate rebates.  Just give me your best price and be done with it.

8. They got rid of their Mac software, and almost all of their Linux
stuff too.

9. Tried buying a cable there lately?  Oof!  Firewire cable for close
to $30 at Best Buy when the locally owned computer shop has the same
thing for less than half that price.  I've found that true for a lot of
other stuff too.  The prices really aren't all that great.

10. The parking lot.  Our Best Buy is across from a Walmart, sharing
one undersized parking lot.  You've got the ghetto chumps racing around
in their honda fartmobiles, drinking their 40's, and paying more
attention to the trashy girls going in and out of the walmart than what
is going on immediately around and in front of their car.  Many of them
will block you in, parking right in the lane in front of your car
because they won't be bothered with walking the extra distance from an
actual parking spot.