Radio Shack - Was:[geeks] Octane light bar

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue Sep 10 10:08:29 CDT 2002

Michael Schiller <schiller at agrijag.com> wrote:

> Another practice they do that I don't understand, is they (the corp. office)
> wants the store manager to be the best sales person in the store, and while
> I can understand a manager being a good salesperson, I don't think they
> should be so pressured into being the best, as they should be more concerned
> with managing the store. I've heard of times when the store manager has been
> in 'competition' with his own sales persons, and I just think that's
> ridiculous. I think the manager of a store should be more concerned about
> the stores overall sales, not his/her personal sales.

Bally's Health clubs did that years ago, and suffered from horrible mismanagement and ethical issues.  It got to the point where nobody wanted to work there, and nobody could sell anything becasue they were being too aggressive, and lost lots of customers - then they closed about 30% of the clubs in New England and still haven't recovered.

BTDT - suffered through the sales "training" over in East Hartford.  They teach you the hard sell, even for the $18/month membership.  I always excelled though, as I never gave anyone the hard sell.  "Hey if you want to join, give me a call."  I sold more memberships than anyone in the region at the time, but they were all $18/month memberships.  What does a $40/month membership get you?  Nothing special - you can go to any Bally's in the country - woohoo...

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com