[geeks] Help Please, Email server question.

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu Sep 5 10:20:57 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 03:51, Geoff Reed wrote:
> Ok, I am thinking of putting a machine up on my net as an incoming and
> outgoing email server, I can throw exchange2000 server on a spare Win2K box
> and apply all the security patches and then only let the pop3 and smtp
> ports be opened from the firewall, or I can use one of my sparcs, what MTA,
> IMAP, Etc do y'all reccomend for a low-volume mail system?

For the love of Dennis Nedry, don't mention M$ products on this list so
casually.

Take your old sparc box, install OpenBSD 3.1 on it, rip out Sendmail and
install Postfix overtop (much easier to configure, and pretty secure to
boot), and any one of a number of IMAP daemons.  I don't think any of
the IMAP daemons shine above the others, and it won't really matter for
a one to ten user installation anyway.