[geeks] Help Please, Email server question.

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Wed Sep 4 16:08:56 CDT 2002

Greg A. Woods wrote:
 > With the newer 2.x versions that has turned into a Cyrus SASL question.
 > If I'm not mistaken though it's as simple as running saslauthd as per its
 > manual page.  (eg. with '-O getpwent' or '-O shadow' depending on whether
 > you are using *BSD or some system with a more primitive shadow password
 > implementation)

saslauthd also supports PAM, in case you're using a different authentication
mechanism than system accounts (like pam_radius authenticating off a WinNT
RAS setup), or one that saslauthd doesn't support very well (like LDAP -
this is marked as experimental by the SASL authors), or one that's not
supported natively (like SQL databases).

 > Cyrus IMAP is probably a better implementation of the protocol, never
 > mind being a better job at programming....  :-)

I second the recommendation for Cyrus.

Phil