[geeks] Oh my, this is getting serious ;^) (Storage space)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 1 09:45:04 CDT 2002

--- Kris Kirby <kris at catonic.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002, Amy wrote:
> > IKEA. Alternately, you might check at a local used office supply
> > store (if you have one available nearby). There's also the tough
> > shelves from home depot (They're sorta PVC-ish and hold about
> > 500lbs per shelf).
>
> *per* *shelf*? The last wireframe I used to move swervers around on
> had wheels threatening to buckle at an estimated 500 pounds...
>
> granted, the shelves stayed put....

I think Amy is talking about two different types of shelving -
metro/wire (which you are also talking about), and a
plastic/nylon/something shelving system (5 shelves, 24" deep, about 4'
wide for $40 +/-).

I have several Ikea shelf systems (will probably get more), and I did
see the shelves Amy is talking about - good for "hidden" storage, but
since the shelves will become a sort of "wall unit" in the basement, so
looks matter to me...

As for the wire shelves with wheels, I wouldn't load up the shelves and
plan on rolling them around - the *shelves* are rated for that much,
but I doubt the manner the wheels are attached is similarly rated - I
would only move a lightly-loaded shelf system on a *very* smooth
surface...

Lionel

=====
Lionel