[geeks] Re: Tektronix scopes

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Wed Oct 30 16:31:56 CST 2002

>>  this list. Well, I bought a 2465 yesterday, 300MHz 4-channel analog
>> scope for $35. It doesn't work, but since the fan isn't turning and no LEDs
>> light up, the fault is probably in the power supply and I'm hoping the rest
>> of the scope is still working... With a little luck there I'll only need to
>> replace a few caps.
>
>   Street price on the 2465 is about $1500...I'd say you did pretty well
>as long as it hasn't been hit by lightning. ;)

 Today I went looking for replacement capacitors. The major suppliers here
didn't have 100V capacitors (?!?), but luckily I remembered a little
electronics store where they still had those (although not the weird values
used in the scope). Unfortunately they mixed up some parts on my order, so I
could only replace half the caps and have to get some more tomorrow..

 But the good news is that my scope is working now :). I haven't really tested
it (I'm also going to replace the remaining caps), but so far it looks quite
good. Lots of blinky lights, way better than my other scope. I also noticed a
timer and a voltage readout; too bad I don't have the GPIB option..

>   Since that's still a supported scope, manuals will be expensive.
>They show up on eBay frequently, but expect to pay in the neighborhood
>of $80 for it.
>I have a 2465A but no service manual...if I had one I'd send it to you.

 Why do you think it is still supported? Mine has copyright '81 printed all
over it and from what I read on the web it's not supported anymore. But I can
probably manage without a service or operators manual now. I also noticed this
on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1781531543&rd=1

 An operators manual on CD for $7.57, this guy has sold these before, so a
bidding war would probably not be wortwhile.

> Well (for me anyway) this is offset by the fact that this is the only
>24xx-series scope I've *ever* heard of that's actually needed service!
>;)

 groups.google.com gives a somewhat other view of custom-made out-of-date ICs
blowing up :). But ofcourse al that you hear is the people who are
complaining... Bad capacitors are certainly a common problem in older
equipment, I've gotten stuff this way before.

  greetings,
   Michiel