[geeks] Ping...

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Tue Oct 29 23:00:54 CST 2002

> > I don't see penalizing people just because they make more money.
> > I favor a flat tax across the board.  Make the flat tax 10%, so
> > if you make $10,000, you pay $1,000.  If you make $100,000, you
> > pay $10,000.  If you make $10,000,000,000, you pay $1,000,000,000.
> >
> > No deductions for anything, but I'd also get rid of bad taxes
> > like the estate tax.
>
> I agree, but I think there should be a minimum, after which you don't
> need to pay taxes. I don't recall what the supposed 'poverty level' is,
> but using your example, I think if somebody only makes $10k per year,
> the government doesn't need their $1000

That was only an example.  There would have to be an amount
below which there wasn't a tax, but that amount would have
to be decided during the creation of the tax, as the amount
that is currently considered the "poverty level" might not
necessarily be the same.

I would also exclude Social Security benefit payments from
taxation (you know, I hate that the government uses SS money
like it was general tax money but doesn't let us declare it
as tax paid).

Mentioning Social Security, I'd also allow people to opt out
of receiving their Social Security benefit payments if they
so desired; right now if you are eligible for your SS retire-
ment, you get it whether you want it or not.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net