[geeks] fti to svg conversion

Caleb Shay caleb at webninja.com
Tue Oct 29 22:17:11 CST 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-29 at 23:05, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> It looks like it is right to me.
>
> Are you using perl?  If so, does >> 4 mean right bit shift 4 bits in
> perl like it does in C?

I'm assuming so.  Anybody care to tell me different?

> But why are you trying to keep the whole thing colormapped?

I don't want to KEEP it colormapped, the icons are colormapped to begin
with and I'm trying to turn them into the matching RGB values.  SVG uses
RGB(A), so yes, it is 24 (or optionally, 32) bit color.

 Does .svg
> require it?  I'm looking at the definition, and they say that all colors
> are in SRGB color space, but the link to what SRGB means is broken.  I
> found other references to it, but alas, it relies on know more color
> theory that I can wade through at the moment (I'm tired and everything
> is starting to blur for me), but it seems that it is true color.
>
> If it were me, after seperating $c1 and $c2 from $color, I'd convert
> them both to RGB, then blend those together, as well as converting
> $color=>0 to RGB as well, and make the resulting .svg truecolor rather
> than indexed color, if possible.

Ah, if only I had ANY idea how you are supposed to blend 2 RGB colors.
Probably insanely simple, but I don't know how to do it.

> You still need to know the color map though for the RGB conversions.

Exactly.

> As to why it is fouled up, well perhaps the color map in FLTK isn't the
> same.

That's what I'm guessing.

> Or perhaps your program is wrong.

Another possibility.

 But if your results are mostly right,
> and all the numbers are negative, then you probably are close, and just
> need some way to tell exactly what results you should have so that you
> can absolutely say when it breaks and when it works.  You don't need to
> find all the colors by hand.  Just find the instances when the icon
> appears differently between the two machines, and capture the irix
> version of those icons for sampling of the wrong pixels.

Yeah, I think that is what I'm going to have to do.

> I wish I could be more helpfull, but I find it hard to say much more at
> this point without being more hands on, but my school has turned rabidly
> anti Irix, and I don't quite think that this warants a special trip down
> to George's (closet person I can think of that I know with an Irix
> machine) with my current workload.

Not a problem.  Thank you immensely for the help you have provided.  I
wouldn't have gotten this far without you.

> Actually, I can think of one other thing to try.  Write a sample FLTK
> program to load and display .fti files using it's built in .fti load,
> and see if those display correctly.

Except that I still don't know C, so I probably wouldn't get very far
with that.  I keep meaning to learn C, but I've never been able to get
myself much further than hello world before confusion or boredom kicks
in.

Cheers,

Caleb