Taxes Was: [geeks] Ping...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 21:10:24 CST 2002

--- Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 04:22:15PM -0500, Michael Schiller wrote:
> > Another idea I've heard is a 25% national sales tax on NEW
> products. The
> > idea being that you could decide on if you wanted to buy something
> new
> > or used, and with the used products becoming much cheaper, it would
> > promote things being used to their fullest potential. I'm not sure
> if I
> > like this idea or not.
>
> That would REALLY fuck the economy - would result in a lack of jobs,
> since nobody was buying new items, they wouldnt need to be produced..

Oh I don't know - I have little use for a "used" Pizza or a "used" pair
of underwear...

Besides, aside from housing costs, most of peoples money goes to
consumables I suspect (auto, education, clothing, food, etc.).

But think of this, a group that can keep ols servers running would be
*kings* - the concepts of the "rescue" group would be "the rule", not
"the exception"!

Lionel

=====
Lionel