[geeks] fti to svg conversion

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Oct 29 12:50:16 CST 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 12:57:17PM -0500, Caleb Shay wrote:

> icons.  No luck.  So I decided to make my own fti2svg program.  It's
> coming along pretty nicely and I've managed to convert every stock Irix
> icon into svg format, minus the color, so they are all black white and
> gray.  Does anybody know any details on the colors in fti files?  I
> can't seem to figure out what they mean, since they all just seem to be
> random NEGATIVE numbers, ie -261, -183.  I'm guessing there is a palette
> somewhere that these match up to, but I don't know where to find it.
> Anyone have any info?

Are you sure they are negative?  I would have anticipated the colors
being unsigned bytes of some sort.  Either in RGB format, or using a
color map.  Is there a default color map?

If that doesn't help, try creating a simple icon in IconSmith that has
just a blue square, a red square, a yellow square, and a greensquare,
and compare the information between the squares to see if you can figure
it out.

Finally, if all else fails, FLTK knows how to load FTI files into a
Fl_File_Icon class.  Dig through the source of that class, and you
should be able to find the info you need.
The documentation to the class (not usefull to you probably) is at:
http://www.fltk.org/doc-1.1/Fl_File_Icon.html#Fl_File_Icon.load_fti

If I find more info, I'll post it.

> PS:  screen cap of the icon progress thus far is at
> http://www.webninja.com/fti2svg.png

For some reason it isn't loading.  I blame it on windows.

OK, I wget'ed it at school, then ftp'ed it down at work.  Looking good.

--
Joshua D. Boyd