[geeks] Ping...

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 29 08:00:22 CST 2002

Kurt Huhn wrote:
>>http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/6.0/release.html
>>
>>I know I am. (Just for kicks that is. ;-)
>>
> Anyone ever run this on x86?  Any idea how much useful software is out there
> for it (on x86)?

 From what I understand it will run anything that will compile on it
that normally compiles for OS X - at least that's what the website implies:

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/darwin/faq.html

As for requirements all they list is 32 -> 64meg RAM and 1 -> 2gig hard
drive space with a VESA 2.0 capable Framebuffer.  I'm gonna try it with
one of my old Pentiums just to see how slow it runs. ;-)

Hmm...I wonder if it will even boot on the PPC Nubus 6100 I have
here...worth toying with.  If it happens to work with Samba an Localtalk
I can stick the 6100 under my Dataproducts laser to bypass the
non-working ethernet service on it - it does have a localtalk port.
I don't hold out much hope though.

Mike Hebel