[geeks] Greenery and brambles...

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Oct 28 14:12:52 CST 2002

[ On Monday, October 28, 2002 at 13:15:29 (-0600), Mike Hebel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Greenery and brambles...
>
> Canes?  Are we still talking about raspberries? Could you please clarify?

All the "domestic" and wild raspberry plants I know of in North America
are essentially biennial above-ground.  The first year the plant
develops but grows no fruit.  The second year the one-year old plant
flowers and grows fruit while also sending up new stalks from the roots
for next year.  The two-year old canes die in the fall after hopefully
bearing a crop of fruit and they need to be taken out, not just for
keeping things in good order to avoid too much tangle, but also to avoid
leaving a good home for many bugs and their predators.

We even maintained the odd wild raspberry patch in the pastures, though
most of the wild varieties I'm familiar with have quite fine canes and
they break up and disintegrate quite easily under a heavy snowbank while
the live canes spring back up after the snow melts.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>