[geeks] Job wanted: Austin, TX

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 28 11:17:39 CST 2002

Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 11:28 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
>> I've just been informed that my last day of employment at my
>> current job will be November 29th.  As a result, I'm looking
>> for UNIX system administration employment in the Austin, Texas
>> area.
>

> Oh man.  I'm sorry to hear that, Bill.  It's been 16 months for me
> without full time employment, and I know it's not a good time to be
> looking.  I really hope the Austin market is doing better than the
> Raleigh/Durham market right now.

18 months for me so far.

Man Bill - you're the one Geek (wear the badge proudly ;-) that I
thought would be able to keep his job during this fracking employment
problem.  I'm sorry you got hit by this and hope like hell you can get
another job without much strife.

Look at it this way - you will most likely lose weight while being
unemployed.  (A problem for most of us Geeks)   I lost about 20 pounds
without even having to exercise.  (Not exactly the brightest good side
of being unemployed but the only one I can give you without blowing
smoke. ;-)  And there's always www.keen.com.  It's phone-work but you
could bring in some money there.  I'm sure there's a market for midnight
phone support. ;-)

(Damn, I just gave away a good idea because I care - gotta stop doing that!)

I think this would be a good time for all unemployed Geeks to get SBA
loans and start home-based businesses.  Hows this for a process:

Geeks Become Unemployed
Geeks Start Small Businesses
Geeks Build Small Businesses over time.
Geeks End Up A Serious Group of Money in the Marketplace.

A long-term solution to the dot-bomb failures.

Mike Hebel
(Who is searching frantically for a way to make money without becoming
the "Do you want fries with that?" person.)