[geeks] Greenery and brambles...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Oct 28 04:18:55 CST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 12:48:43AM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
>                        e typical gardening method of planting crops in
> widely separated rows doesn't make sense.  Why can the plants within a
> row tolerate close proximity, but the plants in two different rows have
> to be so far apart?

So that you can get at them conveniently to harvest them without damaging
the plants.  The alternative is to plant closer to together and use child
labour, as they can get into smaller spaces.

If I were to ever get seriously into growing my own food, I guess I'd
plant in rows six feet deep, that meaning that I could reach into the
centre without breaking stuff.  But to grow on any meaningful scale -
like enough to feed myself - I'd need more land than I can realistically
afford.  Land in the fertile areas of England is far too damned expensive.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  attractivating: inducing the quality of being attractive,
     especially to members of the appropriate sex.  -- Henrik Levkowetz