[geeks] Greenery and brambles...

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 27 20:54:59 CST 2002

Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Sounds like my kind of place.  But you can enjoy much of this in the
> 'burbs, even in the city (not an orchard, of course, but a container
> garden is quite possible).

I'm actually thinking hydroponics when we finally get an apartment.  not
as simple as a garden but far more flexible.  I actually like tending
plants.

> I've got 36 acres in the next county, but I live on an acre and a half
> and I'm slowly converting every square foot to provide me with
> something.  Raspberries and blackberries were planted this year.  Some
> pears went in last year.  Next year I look forward to moving my herbs
> outside, and planting a few apple trees (gala, winesap, and some as yet
> undetermined crab apple).

Count me green-eyed. ;-)  You realize that if the property is that
diverse you could probably make some side money by selling freshly dried
herbs on the 'net.

>> It had more blackberries and red raspberries than you could shake a
>> stick at.  I miss it greatly...I only wish I had had 200k when it > sold.
>

> Look around.  You can find blackberries in the most unexpected places.
> I found a huge thicket of blackberries next to the gas station a mile
> from my house.  People flying down the country highway are in a hurry to
> get somewhere, looking out their window at the weird guy eating
> something from the weeds on the side of the road.

Actually we have mulberries in the back yard.  The raspberry bush in the
back had to be removed due to it's overgrowth of the telco pole that
happens to be in the corner of our yard.

I just remembered a time when I lived in Chicago as a kid.  Myself an a
few friends were eating the mulberries off of a large and old tree when
some lady came by and yelled at us trying to convince us that they were
poisonous.  She went so far as to call the police on us who stopped by,
looked at what we were eating, and told the lady to leave us alone. lol!

> Are you in the city?  Burbs?  Sticks?  Chances are you can capture a
> little of your grandmother's magic wherever you are.

Suburbia west of Chicago.  It's starting to get too built up for my
tastes.  If I can get us out of this house I'll set something up.  Right
now I don't have enough space.  I'm still hoping to find a remote
industrial building (with some property) that I can renovate but that's
a long time down the road.

Either that of build Dr. Quest's cabin complex somewhere. ;-)

Frankly I can learn to live anywhere but I prefer lots of space between
myself and my neighbors.

Mike Hebel