[geeks] I really don't get it ...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sun Oct 27 16:24:04 CST 2002

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:51:31PM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:

> I've never eaten brambles before - I thought they were inedible.

Assuming you mean the same plant as what I call brambles - you can never
tell, as the silly arses what first settled in the colonies just applied
names to plants and animals from home to completely new species </rant> -
then the berries are well worth eating.  Young, fresh stems can also be
eaten, although they are best cooked whereas the berries are best freshly
picked.  Old growth stems are too tough, so it's best to harvest the new
shoots in spring.

The fruit looks like this:
 http://www.corkcoco.com/cccmm/services/envir/publicts/trees/images/blckbery.jpg
and the flowers, leaves and stems like this:
 http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/spring2000/27may2000/27may020.jpg

Blackberries go very well with apples, and make a good sweet wine.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

May your blessings always outweigh your blotches!
    -- Dianne van Dulken,
       in alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove