[geeks] some photos of my collection

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Oct 27 14:04:04 CST 2002

On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 02:56 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>> That was an interesting acquisition.  I haven't fired it up yet (just
>> got it, actually) but it is supposed to be fully populated. I also got
>> a spare system board that will work in that chassis, but has slower
>> processors and 32x 1MB SIMMs also.  There is also another VME board I
>> picked up that is "double height" (consumes two slots) and simply has
>> RGB in and RGB out.
>
> I'm not positive about the double slot bit, but otherwise, it sounds
> kinda like some image processing boards we had at school (used once
> upon
> a time for machine vision).
>
> There also was a SIMD board for the Sun3s.  I can't remeber the name
> any
> more.  It worked as an overlay board because the manufactors didn't
> want
> the expense of porting X11 to it.  Darn it, what is it called.
>
> Ahh, the TAAC.  And reports on web pages confirm that it consists of
> two
> VME slots, and it does have RGB in and out to my understanding.

   Yeah there's the TAAC, but Chris said it "simply has RGB in and RGB
out" so I figured he meant it was just a jumper of some sort with no
actual board there.  Chris, more details?  If it is a TAAC, they're
pretty rare these days...take good care of it.  There's an X server
that runs on the TAAC, believe it or not.  That shouldn't be too
difficult to find.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                  "Mmmm, big."
St. Petersburg, FL                -Den