[geeks] Re: WOOHOO!!

Michael Thompson m_thompson at ids.net
Sun Oct 27 08:46:15 CST 2002

>   My PDP-11/70 just booted RT-11!!
>
>   For you weirdos who don't know what a PDP-11/70 is (though I'm sure
>everyone here has at least heard of them), it's the biggest, baddest
>PDP-11 ever built...the granddaddy of 'em all, circa 1974.

I just got a DEC 2020 KS10 to boot from the diagnostic tape. It's got more
than twice as many bits as the 11/70. It has a LOT less boards than the
11/70 though and is a LOT less tricky. I had to fix the vacuum column tape
drives, memory, power supply, etc. Now I am learning how to fix SMD disk
drives with massbus interfaces. I had to rewire the RP06 disk drive from
3-phase to single phase 220VAC. Yup, 20A 220VAC power for a 170 MB disk
drive. Lots of people ask me why I am doing this.
Michael Thompson
m_thompson at NOSPAMids.net