[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Jim Carver j.carver3 at attbi.com
Sat Oct 26 16:30:55 CDT 2002

Lionel Peterson wrote:

> --- Jim Carver <j.carver3 at attbi.com> wrote:
> > Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > > FZ? I wouldn't compare him/his work to Marvin Gaye - more like
> > > polar opposites, except that both were very good at their form of
> > > music...
>
> > While a direct comparison b/t FZ and Marvin Gaye might be stretching
> > it a bit... If you can find it, check out Jean-Luc Ponty's King Kong
> > on Blue Note records. The whole album was composed by Frank. It
> > really opens a lot of peoples eyes to his musical genius when they
> > hear it.
>
> Jim, I never questioned either's talents, I was focusing on the
> different styles...
>
> Lionel

	Actually I was thinking more of the style than talent issue myself. A
lot of folks aren't aware that along with the Rock and Jazz usually
associated with Frank Zappa, he also composed a considerable body of
orchestral pieces. Marvin is definitely the mellower of the two. I would
also have to give his music the nod as background music in the afore
mentioned context.

				jim