[geeks] I really don't get it ...

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Sat Oct 26 00:01:24 CDT 2002

> [flamebait] Oh!  You mean like slash/burn farming. [/flamebait] ;-)
>
> Just kidding.  I know what you mean.  Still I feel there's more than
> minor agriculture at work now.

Slash/burn farming is minor. Regular farming is major.  How much biodiversity
is in a field.....very little.  One disease can wpe out a crop.  Add chemicals
to increase productivity which can and will run off into waterways.  Irrigation
increases the saltiness of the land until it it too salty to farm.  Let's include
pesticides, whoo boy! We're having fun now!  Actually, we created microenvironments
inside buildings and are trying to change things outside.  Unfortunately,  some things are
unintentional.  The problem with things like global warming is that if it is
coming and a problem, we might be able to do too little, too late.  We may
have caught the thinning of the ozone in time through.    Bob