[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Chris Byrne IV chris at chrisbyrne.com
Fri Oct 25 03:31:51 CDT 2002

> What was that dreck they played in the '70s - "Work Music"? ;^)
>
> I thought most music was for dancing (either mentally or
physically ;^)

> Lionel

Personally I think there are four or five basic types of music common
out there right now.

Hardcore Dance music which is made exclusivley for dancing, i.e. hard
house, drum & bass etc...

Hardcore instrumental music which is made primarily for listening
quietly, concentrating, appreciating fully etc... Most classical music,
some modern folk instrumental, intrumental metal, dream theater, Jo
Satirani, Eric Johnson, classical guitar pieces and the like.

Semi-dance music. Basically pop music with dance overtones or dance
remixes of pop, disco, and other lyrical dance music

Music that has lyrics primarily to help you remember the music. Most
metal, hard rock, rock, and pop are in this vein wether the artist
realizes it or not.

Lyrics set to music to help you remember the lyrics. Anything that Bob
Dylan ever wrote for example along with most of the doors, leonard
cohen etc... Basically most modern folk. 0h and geek rock too. I mean
lets face it, One Week is a very cool 4 minute story/joke set to music
(as is everything the barenakedladies ever did)

Chris Byrne