[geeks] root equivalent user

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Oct 24 19:46:58 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 16:56:48 (-0500), Mike Hebel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] root equivalent user
>
> I think you're the only admin that I've ever met that doesn't approve of
> sudo.

Then I think you still have a tremendous amount of learning left to do
on this subject.  I suggest you start by learning just how much of a
folly sudo really is.  You might start by looking into various research
projects and software packages that have been designed specifically to
analyze and fix the very serious problems inherent in sudo.

> Really stupid how Greg?

Just really stupid.

>  People have been using sudo as well as other
> methods for quite some time without problems.

Yes, and a fool is born at least every minute too.  Some are easily
parted from their money, and some are easily snowed into a false sense
of security.

I agree fully that you cannot ever achieve 100% security on any computer
system, but you sure as heck can do a lot better than believing you are
getting one thing when you're really getting another with sudo.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>