[geeks] Excel

Jonathan C Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Oct 24 19:44:01 CDT 2002

On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 05:59 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> I find myself writing formulas like this '=IF(AND(Vars!$B$35=TRUE,
> and(not(Vars!$B$17="I4"),and(not(Vars!$B$17="I6"),not(Vars!$B$17="I10")
> ))),
> "Indented", "")' in cells, and wish there was a way to simplify them to
> make them more readable, maintainable, and debugable.

The easiest way to do things like that is to compose your complicated
functions in VBA[0] and then export them to the spreadsheet so that you
can do "=NiftyFunc(A4:A6, A5:A7)".  It's possible to do scary things in
VBA.  I wrote a piece of software that evaluated the proficiency of
students' reading comprehension for an ESL program years ago.

I don't recall exactly what you need to click on to invoke the VBA
editor, but I could install Office 97 into VPC, if it doesn't stick out
to you.

[0] Warning:  If you did not install the "extra help" or "more help"
(depending on the version of Excel) VBA files, the documentation will
approximate uselessness.  If you did install it, it will merely be
impossibly frustrating.

--
Jonathan C. Patschke
Celestrion Information Systems