[geeks] STL files for CAD work: urgent help needed

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 24 14:52:29 CDT 2002

   Hi folks.

   I have some STL files from an unknown CAD package (possibly AutoCAD)
that I need to read into BRL-CAD.  BRL-CAD comes with an STL file
import utility, but it only handles the ASCII version of the STL
format, and the files I have are in the binary version of the format.

   Does anyone here have any way to convert a binary STL file to an
ASCII STL file?  Perhaps with a CAD package that can read one and write
the other?  This is a work-related issue of some importance, so I could
really use some help with this.  Any assistance or advice would be
greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke