[geeks] root equivalent user

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 24 12:27:22 CDT 2002

Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Thursday, October 24, 2002 at 01:38:45 (-0400), vance at neurotica.com wrote: ]
>
>>Subject: Re: [geeks] root equivalent user
>>
>>Create a new group, run chgrp -R <newgroup> /usr, and add that user to
>>that group,
>

> I hope that wasn't meant seariously.

You know Greg - I don't think I've ever seen you accept anybody's info
except your own.  Don't you think that's a little strange?

> Talk about a recipie for disaster as well as being a barn door wide
> enough to drive the whole galaxy through.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when a user needs root access doesn't that
mean that _THEY_ are the physical security issue?  You've wasted three
days of this back and forth stuff shooting down everyone's ideas on
whether or not to basically make another user root.  The problem is not
one of limited access it's one of judgement and trust.  As for
installing software - if they're not trustworthy enough for full root
why in the hell are they installing software for everybody anyway?

> Anyone who's done this may as well just bite the bullet and re-install
> now -- you'll likely never get things back to normal and functioning
> properly without doing so.

Your problem will still be the same one no matter how many times you
spin disks at it.

Mike Hebel