[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 23 06:59:45 CDT 2002

David Cantrell wrote:
> Yeah, I tend to ignore the scaremongers too.  What is true is that we are
> perturbing the system, and whilst that is not necessarily going to cause
> long-term changes, it's pretty damned certain that the short-term effects
> will be noticeable.  Seeing that our society is "designed" for a particular
> environment, changing that environment accidentally can't be a good thing.

Hpmh.  And there are people trying to figure out ways to change this
environment purposefully.  Figure that one out.

> Of course, in climatologist-speak, short-term is of the order of a century
> so even if we put our house in order right now, we're still fucked.  But we
> should still put our house in order anyway, in an attempt to only cause
> a temporary perturbation and not a change of state.

Thankfully we're the mayflies of the geological timeframe.  When we want
to we can move more than fast enough to adapt to the situation.  The
problem is getting us to move fast enough. ;-)

Of course all this leads me again to wonder if the inmates are running
the asylum so to speak.

Mike Hebel