[geeks] I really don't get it ...

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 03:32:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 07:32:40PM -0500, Mike Hebel wrote:
> And, I agree. That's why I think that the current "prediction" of global
> warming is off.  There's no way they know using the current information
> that they can make a call of that magnitude with any clear judgement or
> an accurancy IMHO of more than random chance.

Yeah, I tend to ignore the scaremongers too.  What is true is that we are
perturbing the system, and whilst that is not necessarily going to cause
long-term changes, it's pretty damned certain that the short-term effects
will be noticeable.  Seeing that our society is "designed" for a particular
environment, changing that environment accidentally can't be a good thing.

Of course, in climatologist-speak, short-term is of the order of a century
so even if we put our house in order right now, we're still fucked.  But we
should still put our house in order anyway, in an attempt to only cause
a temporary perturbation and not a change of state.

--
Grand Inquisitor Reverend David Cantrell | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  With ... the fact that Linux has become so easy to install that
  certain species of bacteria are now being hired by MIS departments,
  what was once the domain of rigorously trained, highly specialized
  professionals has devolved into the Dark Land of the Monkeys.
     -- Greg Knauss