[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 22 17:18:33 CDT 2002

dave at cca.org wrote:
> nimitz at speakeasy.net writes:
>

>>The self-balancing thing is what makes me skeptical about the global
>>warming thing. From the standpoint of the planet the Earth is a
>>closed-system with feedback control.  If we start heating it up too much
>>I'm betting we'll see it cool down too much to compensate.
>

> Sure. But that balancing sometimes involves the sea level rising
> or falling by a few hundred feet. (Slight changes in temp have an
> enourmous impact on the amount of water stored in glaciers.)
>
> That might have some impact on human civilization.

I didn't say that the compensation wouldn't be without impact.  I just
said that I was skeptical of the theory.  From what I can see most
proponents of the theory do not recognize a control mechanism for
compensation of the heat increase.  (Minus fresh links that I haven't
read yet.)  As for the flooding - I think that is more than a little
likely and more than a little problematic.

Mike Hebel