[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 22 16:00:24 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:
>   I'm not an atmospheric scientist either, but look at what we DO know
> about the atmospheric H2O system: it's self-balancing.  When the
> moisture density gets above a certain point, it condenses and forms rain
> (or snow, hail, whatever)...Increasing the amount of atmospheric
> moisture will simply increase the amount of precipitation, in those
> areas where the "new" moisture moves to and settles.

The self-balancing thing is what makes me skeptical about the global
warming thing. From the standpoint of the planet the Earth is a
closed-system with feedback control.  If we start heating it up too much
I'm betting we'll see it cool down too much to compensate.

>   The increased precipitation in some areas may cause other problems,
> though, of course.

Mmmm....desert stored nuclear waste leeching into an ocean.  Nice.
(Ok, so I'm being extreme but you get the idea.)

Of course these things happen so slowly under "normal" time that we'd
most likely find a way to deal with the situation.  Probably by moving
ourselves to higher ground.

Mike Hebel