[geeks] I really don't get it ...

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Tue Oct 22 02:38:42 CDT 2002

"William S." wrote:

> I really don't get it. At what point in time
> did "D J's" become considered as celebrities
> and artists.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I find it very difficult to
> attribute any sort of credit to a person who
> puts a record on a turntable and turns the
> volume up,or does other simple manipulations
> to it. I mean... it is not their record.
> They are just playing it.

<snip>

> So what is your opinion?

Well, I have to agree with you, to a certain point.
A friend of mine is a DJ and plays $good_music. I think that's what
separates them apart. A DJ has multiple challenges upon him when he
faces a dance-hungry crowd. He has absolutely NO IDEA what they like,
not counting all the drunk jerks that comes up on stage and want to hear
"that lovely song". (You can be sure that $drunk_bastard wants to hear
Elvis or AC/DC at a trance party!)

Apart from taking the temperature of the crowd, you have to use light
and smoke f/x (if needed) at the same time as you're trying to sync
bpm's from the other CD/LP to mix it smoothly into the other, without
wasting too much of the tune. Heck, it's cause of that we see remixes
like "extended version" etc etc. You, as a DJ, is often only interested
in the middle-part, to keep the pace up on the crowd.

I've done some tryouts on DJing and failed quite miserably. It's HARD.
:-)

One thing that does worry me is the fact that people think that $DJ_guy
actually has MADE that record. No freakin' way!
All he does, and is good at, is to play right type of music at the right
time, and with almost invisible cuts between'em. That's the art of
DJ'ing.

/Bjorn