[geeks] Thoughts re: PCI --> AGP upgrades

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Oct 21 15:04:50 CDT 2002

The Powermac G3 Blue and White computer that I have is all PCI... it has 3
64 bit 33Mhz PCI slots and one 32 bit 66Mhz dedicated graphics PCI slot.  It
occured to me while doing my Apple Certification training and reviewing a
Powermac G4 Cube take-apart that the AGP riser card for the Powermac G4 cube
fits into a PCI slot.  What would it take theoretically to re-engineer a bus
extender/riser into a blue and white for using AGP cards.  I'm assuming
there would be almost no benefit speed-wise due to the non-updated Open
Firmware since AGP is a specialized subset of PCI.  It would, however,
assuming it worked allow one to use an AGP GeForce 2MX from a Cube in a Blue
& White... or perhaps any GeForce... i.e. 2MX, 3, 4MX, and 4 Ti.

Thoughts?

Andrew J. Weiss
Field Network Engineer
En Pointe Technologies