[geeks] Swap Memory..

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 20 08:40:55 CDT 2002

Swap needs should be based on *need*, not rumours...

If your working set of applications will be about 2 Gigs (based on your
installed memory I assume it is), then really, more than 1 gig of swap
may be a waste *IMHO*.

This is an emotional issue for many, but unless you know you need to be
able to handle a working set of applications with up to 6 Gig of
memory, I would think real hard about going above 2 gig of swap.

Spreading it across devices might be a good idea too...

(IIRC, the 2*RAM formula came about when 1 Gig of RAm was *RARE*)

Good luck,

Lionel

--- Chris David <kchris_iii at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have planned to install Soalris 8 Production box with  8 gb
> internal
> drives and 2048mb ram. Is that i need to allocate 4 gb (2* ram) of
> swap
> space ?? Because i need my /usr /opt /var directory needs atleast 4,
> 1 gb
> each.
> It sun recommends to have swap less than my memory??

=====
Lionel

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/