[geeks] Scanners -- the radio kind

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 6 08:40:06 CDT 2002

--- Shawn Wallbridge <shawn at synack-hosting.com> wrote:
> I have always wanted a scanner, but never actually got around to
> buying one.

OK

> Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't really know much about
> them, but I would like one that doesn't have any blocked frequencies
> (if they do that).

Being in Canada, I don't think you have to worry about "blocked" freq.
- that is (IIRC) a US Gov't. law, not international.

> Anyone have any suggestions on where to read more?

Sorry, best advice is Google...

> My plan is to put it in the basement with my computers, so I will
> have to go with an external antenna (I would assume).

Most every scanner that might appeal to you would have ext antenna
jack.

> I will probably feed it into a normal stereo receiver (or a mixer
> (which I think I am going to try to build myself) before the
> reciever, along with various computers). If that is even possible.

Of course, line-out is very common...

You might want to look at the "PC" radios - I think some cover wide
freq. spectrum (ICOM, TenTec, others leap to mind)...

Lionel

=====
Lionel

http://faith.yahoo.com