[geeks] FS: Sun AXi rackmount server

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Oct 5 21:16:10 CDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 08:45:08PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> I'll be the first to ask, what did you replace it with?

Actually, a U5/333 (2M), with 256MB RAM, and an 80G Western Digital
IDE drive (one of the special editions w/8M cache; helps make up for
the IDE/SCSI performance difference).  Needed to reduce my rack space
usage at the colo, needed to reduce my reliance on (expensive) SCSI
drives (I couldnt afford to replace them if any more went bad, and I'd
already lost an 18G).

So, basically, its 100Mhz slower and has IDE instead of SCSI, but is
identical (platform-wise).

New machine appears to be working fine - we werent CPU or IO-bound on the
old box, and the new box appears okay (except when I'm compiling 2 or 3
things at once, of course).  Runs about 10% CPU load (unless I'm doing
things like updating the search engine index... )

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net