[geeks] Oh my god...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 29 16:45:53 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 05:37:21PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> What the hell's wrong with Smalltalk!?!?!?!?!?  :-)

OK, I'll acknoledge here that it is possible to use Squeak for such
tasks, but Squeak does not make applications that look like they belong
on the platform, and for that matter, they tend to be rather ugly in a
"I must use every color of crayon in this box" sort of way.  MVC
applications would be a bit better, but would probably earn one endless
whining from the users, and I'd imagine would be a hard sell.

So, sure there are other Smalltalks out there, like Cincom or Visual
Age, but they cost large amounts of money.  Sure, they are free for
personal use, but what about using for small commercial products?
wxPython and java are free, so the small amount of money you collect on
a small project goes straight to paying your bills.  Visual Age is quite
expensive, so that cost would need to be defrayed over a lot of clients,
and thus only suitable for someone really committed to make money doing
smalltalk rather than someone helping out various friends and small
companies.  Based on the opportunities I've had, buying Visual Age would
have meant a large amount of money gone that I would have barely been
able to recoup if at all, and at the time the money was quite needed for
disk space, memory, and CPU upgrades.

--
Joshua D. Boyd