[geeks] Oh my god...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 29 11:35:48 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 12:21:31PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >>Pfizer.  Armstrong World Industries ...
> >
> >All the major banks use it.
>
>   I have three responses to this, and I'm not sure which one to send,
> so I'll send them all:
>
>   - Is that why my deposits keep getting lost...

Either that or they get lost because of banks using insane systems that
rely on a lot of paper work, despite all the computers.  My fiance works
in a bank, and apparently they are fairly progressive for a bank, but
they are years and year beyond where my credit union is.  My credit
union has done its transactions online for as long as I can remeber,
whereas my fiances bank lists the transaction on the computer, but the
transaction doesn't actually happen until the paper forms get processed
the next day.

>   - Every bank that I've seen the inside of uses IBM
> mainframes...which, as far as I'm aware, don't run VB.

One local bank, I don't know what they use on the back end, but their
client applications look suspicously like VB.

I'm not aware of many people who really do server side VB programming.
I know Pfizer wanted to, but as to what was actually in use, it was
pretty much all MS SQL server on the back end and VB on the front end,
or IBM AS400, and whatever they used with that, which I know included
RPG, but I don't know what else.

Besides, I had once been led to believe that most banks used stratuses.
Has anyone actually managed to rescue one of these machines?  Modern
ones seem to be Win2k boxes.  Yuck.

--
Joshua D. Boyd