[geeks] Anyone looking for a house in the Pacific Northwest

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 15:37:29 CST 2002

Joshua,

Overhead is the difference.

The Internet Bookmobile prints on demand, using donated equipment,
power & personnel.

Borders (or other bricks & mortar company) have to print them en masse,
store them, ship the finished product and *pay* for equipment, power &
personnel.

The $1 payment is really a token payment, IMHO - as I recall, the raw
materials (paper, toner & binding) probably cost $1 +/-.

If you wanted to print a 250 page book at home, that would consume 5%
of a 5,000  page toner cartridge (at $50 for the cartridge, that's
$2.50 for the toner), add in a half-ream of paper ($2? $1 if your
printer duplexes and you use both sides of the paper), and let's say
binding is free... You spent $3.50 +/- for your *free* book... Factor
in your time to oversee all this, and $5-7 doesn't seem that bad...

Lionel

--- Joshua D Boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:

> Did anyone see the news reports about the Internet bookmobile?
> http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/10/09/bookmobile/?x
> http://www.archive.org/texts/bookmobile.php
> http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue7_10/cisler/
>
> Well, I rather dislike reading books my computer screen, and I want
> to know if these people can one off bound books for $1, why do I have
> to pay $7 for them at Borders, or whatever.
>
> I really should ebay for books more, but currently I can't afford
> orders large enough to justify the hassle of shipping.

=====
Lionel

http://mailplus.yahoo.com